Thomas Boston – Eternal Life Beginning Now

11 Mar

Thomas Boston2-719007

It is not only life that is promised, but life eternal, life for evermore, Psalm 133:3; which, from the moment it is given, shall never be extinguished, through the ages of time and eternity. In the style of the Scripture, eternal life is not restricted to the state of glory in heaven. But the life communicated to a sinner, in the first moment of his union with Christ, is eternal: it is the eternal life promised in the covenant, according to the Scripture, John 3:36, “He that believeth on the Son, hath everlasting life.” See chap. 5:24; 1 John 5:11, 12. Hence, from the promise of the covenant, “The just shall live by faith,” the apostle proves the perseverance of the saints, Heb. 10:38. A plain evidence, that perseverance in grace, in this our state of imperfection, is a part of the eternal life promised in the covenant, as well as heaven’s happiness. And thus the covenant-life extends to that which now is, and that which is to come, 1 Tim. 4:8.

~Thomas Boston~

The Whole Works of Thomas Boston: Human Nature in Its Fourfold State and a View of the Covenant of Grace, ed. Samuel M‘Millan, vol. 8 (Aberdeen: George and Robert King, 1850), 474.

Books by Thomas Boston

Kindle Books

Thomas Boston on Logos Bible Software

Other Thomas Boston Quotes at the Old Guys.

6 Responses to “Thomas Boston – Eternal Life Beginning Now”

1. lacykitkat March 11, 2014 at 5:45 am #

Reblogged this on HE STILL SPEAKS!.

2. mydelightandmycounsellors March 11, 2014 at 9:54 am #

Reblogged this on My Delight and My Counsellors.

3. irishanglican ~ Fr. Robert March 11, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Love old Thomas Boston, the Scottish Covenanter, and Marrow of Divinity man!

4. Dan March 11, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Thomas Boston is wrong. The possession of eternal life can cease to exist, if one disowns Jesus (Mt. 10:33), who is OUR LIFE (John 11:25). Ponder what Jesus said ==> “But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.” (Mat 10:33)

See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. IF IT DOES, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us–even ETERNAL LIFE. (1 John 2:24,25)

http://www.EOMIN. org

• irishanglican ~ Fr. Robert March 18, 2014 at 10:52 am #

Well this is not the place to argue any Arminian ideas, we could marshal many Texts that show the Calvinist position, and I will just quote a few: “But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I shall give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10: 26-28) Surely Christ has His “elect” or chosen “sheep”, and they shall never perish! (..’the perishing,’ where the perfective force of the verb implies the completion of the process destruction, Moulton, Proleg., p. 114). See, 1 Cor. 1: 18 ; 24…noting too, 1 Cor. 1: 26-31.

5. Ken Lockridge July 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm #

Hey, I’d rather not get on your mailing list for posts, but I just wanted to say what a great page! Bravo–keep it up!

Ken Lockridge